Interrupting Hope at Billingsville Elementary and AG Middle School
F3 (and friends/spouses/2.0’s) has been supporting after school programs at Billingsville Elementary and AG Middle School in Charlotte for many years. We attempt to tutor and teach but it’s hard work and impact is incremental. The kids, mostly from Grier Heights, come from tough environments and, at least initially, don’t have a relationship with us. Mom’s sometimes are wary of these outsiders coming in and many of the kids don’t have a father in their home to teach and guide them about respect, authority, and discipline. The kids live in poverty surrounded by violence, drugs, and other challenges.
But F3, working with Urban Eagles, is interrupting this cycle and providing new hope for the kids. Our goal is to build stronger relationships, help them learn, and give the kids new perspectives with the goal of giving them hope for a better future. This can happen in any neighborhood facing similar challenges.
Tutoring at Billingsvillle Elementary – 124 Skyland Avenue, Charlotte, 28211
At Billingsville, we tutor the kids every Tuesday from 4:30 pm to 6:00 pm and host an annual Christmas party. Volunteers are paired one on one with kids to work on reading, math, and other subjects the kids need help with. The kids are always excited to see the F3 PAX.
AG Middle School – 1800 Runnymede Lane, Charlotte 28211
For the middle school, we conduct weekly activities on Thursday from 5:00 to 5:45 using sports as a way to build stronger relationships. We also coordinate several weekend activities during the year where we get to spend more time with the kids in the program.
We define our mission, values, and success as follows:
- Mission is to provide holistic (mind, body, spirit) support to the kids
- Values – Purpose/Respect/Teamwork
- Success – Kids learn to accept different forms of authority and are empowered to succeed in the future
Our “coaches” (volunteers) believe our first ministry is to God, we have no agenda or pre-defined view of success, care about the kids without condition and strive to always be authentic and consistent
The F3 volunteers at Billingsville are making great strides in effectively tutoring these kids and the AG PAX see the positive impact when the kids move over to AG Middle School.
At AG, we just finished a year that included providing book bags with supplies for the kids, discussions on purpose and identity (tough topics at this age), several weekend activities, and a Christmas Party.
Book bags – Book Bag
Activities (2.0 friendly and helpful):
- Trip to USNWC for ropes course, zip lines, and biking – 7 boys and four coaches Zip Line
- Biking – 7 boys, three coaches and one 2.0 USNWC Bike Riding
- Biking with Trips for Kids – 7 boys, 3 coaches (YHC forgot to take pix)
- Hiking at Crowders Mtn – 8 boys, 4 coaches, three 2.0’s Crowders Mtn Hike
- Sports day at Johnson C Smith University – 12 kids, 4 coaches, 1 teacher
- Charlotte Hornets basketball game – 14 kids, 3 teachers, and 2 coaches
Christmas Party – Over 50 kids, 5 coaches, and several partners
- Boys Boys with Panthers “Keep Pounding” sleeves
- Ice Cream Stand Ice Cream – Cuda in Line Ice Cream Stand
- Thank you card from kids Thanks
What’s next – two things:
- Expand number and types of weekend trips. Your interest is likely something of interest to one of these kids.
- Expand this program so kids in other neighborhoods like Grier Heights can receive some Interrupting Hope.
- By: Chelms aka Tatertot
- On December 16, 2016
Top Metro Posts this Week
Early to RiseJune 22, 2017 / stinger
( 206 )
First Ever PreRun Backblast #CheechStrongJune 24, 2017 / longshanks
( 68 )
PreBlast: Convergence in Honor of Cheech (The Fort)June 22, 2017 / longshanks
( 53 )
Bell Curve...Trending downwardJune 21, 2017 / shawshank
( 19 )
SIB: Missing Pax Mystery MachineJune 21, 2017 / nash-bridges
( 9 )