If you’ve done your food journal for the past 2 weeks, you can clearly see it’s not all that easy. Even though I told you not to change anything about the way you eat, did it make you more conscious when you picked up that Snickers and looked at the nutritional info on the back? Haha, good. That’s a major point behind the food journal.
Take a look at the data from the past 2 weeks. Where are your calories coming from? Liquids, fats, carbs? You want a balance. Without knowing what your numbers are, I can probably tell you that you need to lower your carb intake (NOT eliminate), lower your fat intake, and increase your protein intake.
So now that we can see WHAT we’ve been doing, it’s time to take on CHANGING. The next 2 weeks, I want you to do two things:
- HYDRATE BETTER – Primary Goal
- MAKE HEALTHIER FOOD CHOICES – Secondary Goal
- If you find water bland and boring, grab those little flavor things they sell (Mio) if you must.
- Goal: Work up to 3-4 liters per day. This may mean eliminating soda’s or sweet tea to hit that goal. Pace yourself.
- Purchasing a water bottle you keep with you at all times greatly helps you in achieving this goal. I’m rarely without mine.
- Where did I get my numbers? From here: http://goo.gl/H60E9Q
So how do you know if you’re taking in enough water? Next time you hit the bathroom, what color is your urine? Take a look and compare the color to this chart and adjust accordingly:
*Disclaimer: If you’re using a public restroom, don’t whip your phone out, pull this chart up and start comparing what’s in the toilet with the chart.
Make Healthier Food Choices
- If you go out to lunch everyday, make better restaurant choices: Subway, Chipotle (my personal favorite), etc.
- Sometimes the restaurant choice isn’t up to you. Wherever you are, make better meal choices: Instead of that burger, see if they have fish (not fried), or lean chicken.
- If you eat dinner out with your wife, try splitting a meal instead of both of you getting a full meal. If you do get a full meal, only eat half and take the other half home.
Remember: FITNESS is NOT just working out in the gloom with the pax, just like FAITH is not just showing up to church on Sunday.