Three men took it upon themselves (with some mild EHing) to take in this week’s Governor’s Cup 11 mile training run this Wednesday morning. With the Mud Run looming on Saturday the thought was to log in our miles for the week with a couple of recovery days between this run and Saturday’s muddy madness. One thing became crystal clear while running 11 miles in the gloom – three days rest from a 10 mile run with a relay-race track session and solid bootcamp workout sprinkled in do not necessarily help one run at peak performance. A 5:15 curtain call does not help either. That said, the notion that the long runs should be done with a “just get through it” mentality has been beat into YHC and that philosophy was heavily relied upon today.
Conditions: 57 degrees with 72% relative humidity
11-Mile Governor’s Cup Training Run
Depart Dreher heading south on Ott. Turn left on Duncan and follow to Kilbourne. Turn left on Kilbourne and proceed through Beltline and Brennen before turning left onto Sanford. Take a quick right onto Kathwood and follow all the way to a left turn onto Woodlake. Follow Woodlake up part of the hill and turn right onto Carter Hill. Take an immediate right onto Quail and follow until it dead-ends into Shady Lane. Turn right onto Shady and pause at Chaser’s home for our water station (thank you, Chaser!). Continue down Shady and turn right onto Milford. Continue around Milford until it puts you back onto Shady. Turn right on Shady and follow to Kilbourne. Turn right onto Kilbourne and climb the hill to Beltline. Continue on Kilbourne through Beltline, Devine, Blossom and turn right onto Wheat. Follow Wheat through Shandon before turning right on King. Proceed on King through Blossom, Devine, and through Old Shandon. Turn right onto Millwood and follow to Maple. Turn right onto Maple and proceed back through Old Shandon, through Devine, Blossom, and on to Duncan. Turn left on Duncan and follow back to Ott. A left on Ott brings you back to Dreher and the finish.
BOM – Closed out by SubPrime
- This challenge was not for everyone so T-Claps to Dos Equis and Termite for being ideal candidates to join YHC in this endeavor.
- Pitstop – today’s run introduced a new concept for the GC training runs – the pitstop. Thanks to the water station all three pax paused briefly (all at different spots) yet amazingly were reunited for the homestretch.
- YHC witnessed Windmill arrive at Brickpile around 5:05, get out of his car, and proceed to start a run of some sort. T-Claps on the early arrival.
- Thank you again to Chaser for setting some bottled waters out at his home. This was much appreciated and definitely necessary when running this distance.
- Plan to attend (and bring an EH’d friend to) the monster convergence on October 26th at Finlay Park. It’ll be huge. T-shirts are expected in the coming weeks for those who’ve ordered them so plan to gear up for the big one year anniversary event.
- We’re working on at THIRD Palmetto 200 relay team. We’re up around 28 participants so far with more coming from Greenville, Charlotte and elsewhere. This will not be an event you want to miss. Check the pre-blast for details and contact Chaser or YHC if you’re ready to commit.
- The 2nd F Golf Outing at Crickentree is this coming Thursday. It’s not too late to participate and, with 20+ people already on board, it’ll be a great F3 showing. Contact AltarBoy at email@example.com to get on the list.
- Standing lunch at Lizard’s Thicket on Beltline Wednesday at Noon
- Standing HDHH at Henry’s Wednesday afternoon at 5:30