F3Run/SIB-Backblast.4/17/2012-I Hate Sprague
[posting for Ben Franklin]
Ben Franklin (War Baby, QIC)
El Deuce (War Daddy, SIB FNG)
5 min warm-up – 400m lap and stretch
800m x6 – 90 second recovery between sets
Jog around far side of track
15 minutes of squats and 100m sprints: 7 x 10 3-count prisoner squats (QIC led) followed by 100 meter sprints (~15-20 seconds squats, ~15-18 second sprints, 60 seconds recovery)
~400 m cool down lap
- First, let me say that YHC hates Sprague. Here I agree to sub as QIC (my first go-round as Q for any F3 workout) due to the unavailability of the new 3-headed SIB QIC monster and what does he do? He throws me 800m repeats. 800s are my own personal version of hell….but YHC was a sub and merely serving as a conduit for the new QICs’ plans for SIB so we lined up and hazed ourselves accordingly.
- We had a bit of a skeleton crew out there this morning due to absence of the QICs, Apple Biter and Titan, among others – we had the track to ourselves until the sprints and we ran into Pomfret and a few pay-to-play interlopers as we were cooling down.
- Pacing – Yesterday, Sprague sent around the pacing chart to be used for shorter distance repeat workouts based on the respective times from last week’s benchmark 5k. Based on the chart, my pacing target for 800s was 3:16 for each set – my results were 3:06, 3:13, 3:11, 3:09, 3:08 and 3:02. Donut and YHC paced each other on each set and tried to really lay it out on the last set. Dark Warrior averaged around 3:19 over the 6 sets and El Deuce didn’t run the 5k last week and said he was still in “recovering jogger” mode, but was pushing through each repeat hard. The pacing chart provided a real test and gave us a challenging benchmark to work from and hold ourselves accountable on each set. Tclaps to Sprague for providing the resource.
- Lucky Seven – After the 800s, YHC decided to return to the scene of the crime last week and incorporate some 100m sprints with a little extra wrinkle. 10 3-count prisoner squats before each sprint just layered on the fatigue before taking off down the track…I don’t know about my 3 compatriots, but my quads and calves were burning by the 3rd set. Calling on your legs to let it all out after a set of squats is rather unpleasant. We stopped at 7 as a function of time, but it also happens to be my number from my Diplomat lacrosse days, so that worked out just right. I think we could really challenge ourselves on this type of set work in future through shorter recovery periods and varying sprint distances…and to the extent the QICs would ever need my help again in the future, just be advised that if I’m leading, we’ll be sprinting.
- This is the second week under the helm of the new QICs and things are moving right along. Dark Warrior pegged our distance covered at approx. 4.5 miles – sounds on track with the “run less, run faster” work prescribed by Sprague last week. Thanks for the chance to lead my first F3 workout – turned out to be a pretty good one for me…my legs are still pretty angry with me.